Thread: VPI tables
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
I wonder if Mike is referring to changes like VPI adding a gimbal tonearm. I remember when I talked to The folks at VPI a few years ago, they were very against gimbaled tonearms. I wonder if they have received lots of complaints about their unipivot and just gave into a gimbaled arm???

I’m not exactly sure what drives companies to make changes quickly, but i suspect it is primarily to make more money and to keep up with their competitors.
I was also remembering things like the Classic 4 and Classic Direct - very expensive tables which seemed (to me) to have a VERY short reign. Now they've gone to the Avenger/Vanquisher for the top line, which seem to be more like the Innovation form factor, even with magnetic drive for the top models.

HR-19 (many iterations), TNT (numerous iterations), HR-X, Ares, Scout, Prime, Classic, Avenger/Vanquisher for series alone (not to mention the Nomad/Traveler/Player/Cliffwood entry levels)...and multiply that by all the tonearm / platter / motor versions & options. Rim drive?? And initial issues with the 3D arms, etc. Keeping up with VPI's line, since I got into vinyl, has made my head spin!!

I like the HR-X because not only is it a beautiful table, it's a classic design that's had real staying-power in the lineup.

Last edited by mulveling; 02-09-2018 at 08:34 PM.