Quote:
Originally Posted by akfaulkner View Post
Hey All!

I am curious on people's opinion, here is my larger system:

Auralic Aries Mini (Streaming)

Classe Sigma SSP (DAC/Pre)

Classe CA-2300 (Amp)

Wilson Yvettes

I am thinking to make a big upgrade on either my Amp or the DAC. My current narrowed down choices are:

A good deal on D'Agostino Progression Monos

Either Linn Klimax Catalyst DS (or DSM) or DCS Rossini

Based on your thoughts, which would should I consider sooner rather than later?

Alan

Alan

How are you currently using the Auralic? I assume you are running a server program on your network and using the Auralic app to stream your files and tidal? Do you have a lot of high Rez material or mainly 16/44. Also do you have any interest in DSD or Roon. I am also guessing you are running either USB or coax out of Auralic to you sigma pre and it is serving as the DAC.

The Wolfson DACs in the Sigma pre are not bad at all and the analog portion of the preamp is very similar to the CP800. Which I think you used to own. The CP800 has a better DAC section. But both are limited to 24/192 and no DSD. Both of the digital options you mention would move your preamp to analog only mode but I believe only the Rossini gives you DSD and Roon. With the Linn DSM and if you use the Rossini volume you actually also have no need for the preamp

I agree with the get a better amp first camp. The D’ag S250 is great. I have one and three of the M400s. If interested in used then I also recommend the Ayre VXR or MXR monos in the twenty version. that was my old amp set up prior to the D’ag and I still have them.

I believe you are coming over on 22nd to listen and I have both the sigma pre and CP800 in different systems and I have the Rossini paired with the VXR and Alida in the study. You can also hear the M400s with Alexia V2 and the Vivaldi

Not sure I can swap around in the systems for the event but I bet the sigma pre with the D’ags would sound better than throwing the Vivaldi into the sigma pre system. Get a great amp for your speakers and then figure out your digital needs and while you decide you will still be enjoying great sound

I will say that while I personally don’t think the Classé is a bad amp. Both the Ayre and D’ag. Are big step ups although they also cost a lot more

My point is while there are real gains out there....your system as is will provide enjoyment

Last edited by enatai252; 02-10-2018 at 10:28 PM.