View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 03:54 PM

Arrow Can anyone give me a Bryston primer?

Hello to the Bryston Board!

This is my first time on this board, so please be gentle. I started a thread on another AA forum board a while back and one of the brand names that popped up during the discussion was Bryston.

The theme/name of the thread is 'Playing SACD on old equipment' and, among other interesting suggestions, there were a couple of posters who suggested employing DACs; namely, the BDA-3 and, later, the BDA-3.14 Streamer.

Having nearly zero clues about external DACs, I though that I'd ask the Bryston folks for a somewhat focused primer. We presently own a Sony x800M2 player and are awaiting an Oppo BDP-203 player. Although we were unaware of it, at the time, we purchased the Sony x800M2 thinking that we could [directly] play the SACD and the DVD-A format discs that are in our collection...which brings me full circle to DACs.

At some point, the discussion in the thread I mentioned turned toward employing one's computer to "rip" audio off of physical audio media for storage on a computer HDD. We presently don't have anything better than USB 2.0 data transfer technology -- aboard our early-2011 MacBook Pro (MBP) 17 -- so I have my doubts about whether or not using it for this purpose is realistic...and the Bryston BDA-3.14 seems to be aimed at the "computer audio source" people.

As you can surely tell by now, I don't know much about external DACs or their common uses. If anyone would care to take me to 1st grade on this subject, I'd be very grateful for the kick in the behind. Unlike a lot of folks in the present day, I actually want to be schooled by real teachers.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections