View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mike.......A battery disconnect switch seems like a necessity for these types of chargers unless the battery is removed from the vehicle. Are there any adverse circumstances created in to day's modern vehicles when the 12 volt battery power is removed from the vehicle's circuits, like impacting computer flash settings, etc.?

Dan,

Just before Christmas, my wife sent me a text asking me if it’s OK to jumpstart her coworker’s vehicle with our new Jeep. I replied “Absolutely not (I’m not sure if I would do it being there myself either). Besides, the battery isn’t under the hood; it’s under one of the seats inside the truck. I’d rather pay for her AAA bill myself!”

I mentioned this to my nephew who was over on Christmas Day. He’s an engineer at a company that makes construction equipment (skid loaders, track loaders, excavators, etc.). He asked me why I wouldn’t jump another car. I explained there could be surges that could knock out one of the many computers on the Jeep (and whispered I really don’t want her or her coworker messing around under the hood either).

He had a pretty good counterpoint. Paraphrasing here, ‘Do you really think Jeep or any other automaker wants to deal with blown computers because of a surge caused by jump starting? They certainly have enough protection built in to prevent that.’

He’s probably right, but if there’s a constant barrage of over voltage, I’m not so sure. I’d definitely disconnect the battery if I’m using the desulfate mode.

Sorry if this battery charger side-discussion is hijacking your thread Terry.