View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 10:57 PM

Welp, took me a while but I read through all 27 pages of the Vintage Codex. Great thread. After some more time to A/B with the stock Flamenco and the DeVores I'm leaning towards the higher resolution, more refined, better imaging, tone, and tightness I'm hearing from the DeVores (again in my room and in my setup). I'm having a hard time thinking that a crossover will 'fix' or improve all these areas to my liking which is why I haven't taken the plunge. Stands seem to be needed as well.

So like many others I guess I'm standing on the edge of a rabbit hole asking if I should make the jump. The Werner XO would probably lead to a new back panel and all the fine work that entails with cutting space for the 806 horn. Not to mention table/legs, new brass screws, and all the other nice tweaks mentioned in the other thread. I suppose I could take it a little at a time and enjoy the journey.

Don - regarding the Shindo amp, I hear you. A nice Montille EL84 popped up on Audiogon and it is very tempting. However, I think I have my heart set on two particular amps I think I can live with for the long term: The Cortese should I stick with the Flamenco and all tweaks that will require, or the Haut Brion and the DeVores should I go that route. I'm not much of a handy man so the Flamenco tweaks seem a little daunting but no doubt the route that most interests me. I want to see what these puppies are capable of.

Thanks all for your feedback.