View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 09:20 PM

I purchased a pair of Magnepan 20.7 this recent Spring. Previously I owned a pair of Magnepan 3.6 (eight years).
I kept my Bryston 4B-SST² amp (500 watts at 4 ohms per channel)
My dealer said I had no need of a bigger amp.
The Pass X250.5 also has:
Power Output/ch (8 ohm)
Power Output/ch (4 ohm)
This from Pass site.
So I would say, if you are playing music at reasonable levels, 500 watts is more than enough. If you are currently playing your 3.6 without blowing them up... I would say you are 'good to go' using the Pass X250.5 with Magnepan 20.7

Took my Magnepan 20.7 about two months to break in fully. After I decided to add the one ohm resistor to the midrange. Really added a lot of warmth to the sound. But sent for some Mundorf 10 watt resistors, all sorts of values, 0.33 0.50 0.75 1.0 1.5 2.0 and tried them on the midrange. I liked the 0.5 Mundorf the best. With that I decided to really go all out and bought Duelund CAST resistors. but with those, the 0.75 ohm worked best. The Duelund really do sound better.
I put nothing on the tweeter, as I have a home made choke 31 turns around a thin dowel to keep ultra high energy down in the tweeter attenuation spot.
Do not be afraid to play with the midrange resistor value to get the sound 'just right' after the speakers are broken in..
Good Listening!