Thread: HDTV Shoot-Out
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Semi-audiophile

Default HDTV Shoot-Out

I thought I would share this in case anyone was interested.

I attended the annual flat-panel shoot-out at Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY back on May 11, a Saturday. It was a 2-evening event, as there was a presentation Friday May 10 as well. Even though this is a small (though they recently moved to a somewhat larger store), mom/pop-type place, the event has become a big deal of sorts in the industry, as there are press and industry people who make the trek there from all over the country and the world, as do personnel from the various companies represented to make presentations on their flagship TVs. And, it was streamed live online. There were refreshments, as usual, and that included some KILLER homemade cookies by one of the daughters of the VE proprietors, Robert and Wendy Zohn.

This year's sets were the following: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Panasonic TC-P65VT60, Samsung PN64F8500 (plasmas), Sony XBR-X900A 4K Ultra High Definition, Panasonic TC-L55WT60 , and the Samsung UN60F8000 (LED LCDs). LG couldn't get their flagship set there in time for the event, unfortunately. And Sharp Elite is in a holding pattern, perhaps updating their line to come out with 4K sets.

As mentioned in my preamp thread, I will sometimes consider what to replace current gear with should the need arise. In that case the "what if" turned into an "I did" (though I'm still not 100% sold on the replacement; that process is still ongoing). But as for my TV, a Pioneer Kuro, there is unlikely to be an "I did" moment as long as it's working. In fact, there was a Kuro KRP-500 there, not part of the shoot-out but for curiosity comparison (external pressure led to that, I understand). The Kuro, 4 years old, was still better in black level. You can watch excerpts on VE's website; there's probably more on You Tube or other sites.

In case anyone is interested, here is the write-up by Rob Sabin of Home Theater magazine on the proceedings; he was there that Saturday.

Value Electronics HDTV Shootout: And Then There Were Three... | Home Theater
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 06-03-2013 at 12:56 PM.