View Single Post
Old 05-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Retired

After ~10 hours of run-in on the tubes the SLI-80 compares quite favorably to what I recall from the MC275MkV with the JA RM7XL, a somewhat smaller monitor speaker then then the JA Cinergy 5.1s am now listening to. Very smooth and extended. If anything, in triode mode, might go just a bit deeper than the MC275MkV. But, the 5.1s have dual low-range drivers while the RM7s have only a single, which could account for the difference. One thing is for sure............... the SLI-80 completely humbles the MA2275 I had for a while. This is the integrated amp that McIntosh should/could have built, sonically speaking. Am very pleased and will start spinning some vinyl later in the week.

Edit: Daughter has her mother out for brunch and a stroll on the boardwalk, so I'm getting to do some 'rockin out' with Stevie Ray Vaughn. Think there is no question that the SLI-80 Sig has a more 'guts' than I recall the MC275MkV having. Of course, that is is designer/builders choice and may be some of the reason the new MC275MkVI got a different feedback scheme and more bass. Whatever, the more I listen the better it sounds. More bottom-end and nothing taken away from the mid-range and highs. Plus, am also pleased by the looks of the SLI-80 (though no more so than McIntosh). What's not to like?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 05-12-2013 at 02:09 PM.