View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 07:18 AM
Semi-audiophile

I realized some things during the night that put some perspective on this preamp deal.

1. Ultimately, I'm not a tube person at heart. I'm not thrilled at the extra maintenance and cost of tube equipment. Even though tube failure is rare with signal tubes such as those in a preamp, it is possible, and that's on my mind. My ideal, which I can't afford, is the VTL TL-6.5 Signature, an $11,500 unit. A tube unit, yes, but with a solid-state power supply and only two tubes versus the C2300's six. And for some odd reason, I sense slightly more acceptance of the coming C2500 over the 2300 even though it has the same six tubes; perhaps it's the somewhat sleeker design. The main reason I consider the 2300 at all is the overwhelmingly positive hype on this forum. And it still bothers me a bit at having to tube the MC phono stage, which I'll never use.

2. I'd prefer a line stage. McIntosh doesn't make one, unfortunately. The reason for a Mac preamp is I have Mac amps, so it's an obvious match. The non-Mac preamps on my short list are line stage affairs, as is the VTL. The ARC LS27, which I considered briefly, is also (again, only two tubes). I already have a phono preamp, though not state-of-the-art (Aragon 47k), which would be redundant with either Mac unit. As many here prefer a separate DAC, so I prefer a separate phono stage. Still, perhaps it's not a deal-breaker; if the Mac's onboard phono is much better, then I guess I would use it and have to do something with my 47k.

3. The Parasound JC2 is still lurking. And now that the Halo line comes in black, the JC2 is much more appealing than before. I've seen photos, and I really like the look. I've also seen a couple of posts here and there regarding the positive pairing of Parasound preamp and Mac amp. I also don't think the one caveat about pairing it with lean-sounding equipment applies to my MC501s and Mirage M-3si speakers.

So that quickly the waters have muddied. There are several dangers I see here. One, I go ahead with the audition and the 2300 indeed "kills" the C50, as the store salesman says, creating personal angst and confusion; two, I decide stubbornly to go for what I want (the VTL) despite the money, creating danger; three, I say to heck with it and get the JC2 (maybe the JC3 also) and live happily ever after; or four, I plunge into research all over again, eventually burn out on the whole thing and just stand pat. A lot changed overnight.

I begin to miss the simpler days of a receiver, turntable and speakers.

Last edited by prepress; 02-03-2013 at 07:30 AM.