View Single Post
Old 04-01-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolover82 View Post
What about Aerial acoustics, Revel, High end JBL? I believe Magico, Rockport, Avalon, YG acoustic, Eggleston, Nola all still made in USA
Harman is global and manufactures all over but these days, it's hard to think of JBL as "Made in the USA." . Most lesser JBL products are manufactured offshore, Taiwan or China in Harman owned plants. Harman also manufactures in Mexico (Tijuana), just over the border, and I suspect things like Synthesis and the "serious" drivers are made there. Not sure about Everest, that could still be made in Northridge.

A complete list of Harman's factories and what is manufactured where is beyond me but I'll supply my best guesses. I believe Revel has moved cabinet manufacturing to Indonesia, Not sure about their crossovers and transducers. Those (I think) are either made here or in Mexico and then married to the boxes"somewhere in North America." The Elkhart IN facility is still active where some Crown (and likely Mark Levinson?)is still manufactured. I'm not sure but Revel is variously administered from Elkhart, Northridge and Waltham with the engineering being done (I believe) in Massachusetts.

The JBL factory at Northridge is still there serving engineering, sales and marketing, and I believe, customer service, manufacturing of cone kits and diaphragms, and probably warehousing and assembly but the big production lines with the fabulous voice coil winding machines and cabinet shops that defined JBL for most of us are gone. That happened about ten years ago.

If you were to buy any but the higher end Crown amplifiers for whatever reason it could have been made anywhere. I suspect that Mark Levinson might be manufactured in Indiana, but I'm not sure. I could get the latest on all this by making a few phone calls but you can take it to the bank that a very large percentage of Harman's stuff is no longer made here.

Notwithstanding, a great deal of the research and technology they've been pumping out lately is American (or Canadian ) inspired and the engineering is still first rate. They know exactly what quality standards their products meet (or don't meet) and you can take that to the bank as well.

I believe you can manufacture fabulous stuff anywhere be that here, Europe or Asia but it's sad for me to see so much industry moved offshore.

Last edited by Pampero; 04-05-2016 at 11:37 PM.