View Single Post
Old 08-21-2017, 12:26 AM

Default Newbie in Alabama

Hi everyone,

Just joined today at the urging of Questortapes74. I've always loved all kinds of music, but always listened lo-fi. I never knew any different. It's what my family did. In my family, music was relatively low-priority background noise. So, cheap mass produced systems were the usual, and considered a luxury. As long as you could hear the notes and lyrics, that was good enough. Anything else was unnecessary extravagance.

Growing up in the late 80s, early 90s, if peers put money into their system it was to make the music loud, not clear. The more rattling of your environment, the better it seemed. I cringed then. I cringe even more now.

Well, when Questortapes74 introduced my ears to his system, I was hooked. It was like being in the room with the musicians. What was this magic? I had to get into this, and work my way to better sound. It's been less than a year and I've pieced together a system that is adequate, and my listening room/office is now under renovation (unfortunately I am on a bit of a temporary listening hiatus) to better accomodate my new hobby. Hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to upgrade over time, maybe make it gradually into higher end audio, and continue to enjoy great tunes with newfound balance and clarity.

Questortapes74 kept showing me this site, and it has piqued my interest. I registered and subscribed today as part of my journey!

Best,
Shrinky Smurf