View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Remember, 1 W is still 1 W, in a sense of electricity. The sensitivity of a speaker has more to do with how loud it will drive at said 1 W.

Considering most listening is done <5WPC (unless MasterLu), a 50W Class A amp should have plenty of grip on... well... any speaker.
I realize that all watts are created equal in the sense of Ohm's Law, but also remember a McIntosh demo in which a MC402 was easily driven into protection mode by a CD with a drum solo with a huge dynamic range (think it was Charlie Randall doing the demo to demonstrate the protection mode) and in that sense, 400+ watts was not enough. This is why I was curious about the relatively low wattage of class A amps such as the B.A.T. VK-SE150 monoblock tube amp when compared to the potent class A/B Mc Amps. Even the vaunted Lamms have low watts compared to some of the Mc Amps.

In no way am I promoting Mc amps -- just am more familiar with them and am trying to figure out the much lower wattage of most high end amps and why several of the Mc amps need 1000+ watts.

MikeSp
MX150, MC501's (3), MC352's (2), Aerial Acoustics Model 9's for mains, Aerial Acoustics CC5 for center, and Def Tech surrounds, JL Audio F113's (2) with Sound Anchor Stands, 60 inch Pioneer Kuro, Tivos, Monster HTPS 7000MKII, Oppo BDP-83SE, PS3; dedicated HT still under construction [system used primarily for movies].