View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 06:55 PM

Default Center Voicing Question

As we were searching for a new center speaker last year, we read all manner of information about "voicing" one's center speaker to match one's fronts.

I've been working on other things for several months, so perhaps I've forgotten something...but, considering that a center speaker in a 5.1 surround setup is where all the spoken dialog in movies is sent, does it really matter which brand and which model you use with your fronts?

As the signature (below) shows, we're using -- and are quite happy with -- the N802s we've owned since before Katrina washed us out of NOLA. I realize that the NHMTM1 was meant to be the center speaker of choice for these particular speakers, but would...say an HTM1D3 or a smaller HTM2D3 really be so out of place as a center channel in a 5.1 surround setup?

I'm sure that I've forgotten something here, but a speaker that's used for spoken dialog seems to be a bit different than the wide spectrum of sound that one hears through front speakers.

Thank you for your time

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections