View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 09:51 AM

When I run MQA files in "non-passthru" mode (I presume that Tidal is doing the "unfolding") to the DirectStream DAC, the DAC is showing the higher resolution, but the sound quality is "muted", regular FLAC files (of the same music) sound much better.

On one of the early PS Audio forums, I remember Paul and Ted saying that their design, based around the FPGA chip (instead of using an "off the shelf" DAC chip), was not a good match for MQA; I'm guessing they experienced the same reduction in sound quality.

So, Paul has been really "quiet" on his forums, on the subject of MQA. I wonder if he and Ted are looking at options, in case (in their judgement) incorporating MQA into a DAC becomes something a high-end purchaser will demand (sort of like what DSD is now)? It wouldn't surprise me that they are working on a solution.
McIntosh C2500 pre amp, MC452 power amp, Autonomic MMS-5A server, PS Audio P15 power plant, DirectStream DAC, DirectStream CD transport, Focal Sopra No2 speakers, JL Audio F113V2 sub woofers (2), Sennheiser HD800 headphones, Dell laptop iTunes/Tidal/Roon, Wireworld cabling