View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Next room: Devialet, with Spendor. The new Expert Pro delivers 2x1000 Watts into 6 Ohm. Elegant beauties, and I do not mean the mirroring photographer. But why did they choose Spendor??! The sound was warm, yes, very warm. But it was veiled, muffled, boxy. Terrible! I have heard Devialet with other speakers, and know what they're capable of. This was a complete mismatch. We ended with the demo of the Phantom Gold. Some bass heavy pieces. The tiny white things produced an enormous amount of bass. The mids and treble were a bit plasticky, but if you want to dance, there is wifi and you have 5K, then you put 2 of these in your room, and you're good to go (Tidal ready). The room literally rattled!
Bart,

Thanks a lot for this terrific report as always.
To answer your question about Devialet / Spendor, I guess that Devialet is fed up about people considering them cold or sterile. So they chose a "warm" brand.
Anyway people buying Devialet usually do not buy Spendor and the reverse is true too.
No matter if Devialet plays with Spendor or Harbeth or other warm speakers. I find them cold and completely boring.