View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 09:22 AM

This is only my opinion, based only on my research and hands-on experience. I've come from VTL 225 Deluxe PP amplification, to my current Decware SEP, and Inspire SET, and I'm convinced in the continuum between low power/high sensitivity speakers and full power /low sensitivity speakers there are many middle combinations which in the end do not satisfy completely.

One needs to decide at the outset which of the two best working extremes to aim at. The power-strong extreme is very expensive if you want quality sound. On the other hand, dealing with the low-power scheme may be very satisfying as well as affordable.

In every case, there are characteristics you have to accept, because of inherent laws of physics. I for one enjoy much more the current Inspire setup because it is a delightful sounding system without the excessive cost of, say, a full class A SS amp above 70 Watts and the corresponding sophisticated low sensitivity luxury speakers that would give credit to that amplification. Even with this top notch system, the mid-range of my Triode beats it, and only in powerful dynamic swings does the Class A rule. BTW, large PP tube amplification does not compete in dynamics with either the Class A SS or the Triode SET or SEP, and lacks the glory of the mid-range of the SET, OTBE.

Once you decide where you want to be, there are many ways of diminishing inherent drawbacks, unless you have all the money in the world! I prefer investing in the source and my system for example sounds pretty loud and clear at just half the step attenuator's dial in my LP-27a. The other half is for dynamic reserves. My speakers are nominally 98 dB at 8 Ohms, but probably lay between 95 and 96 in reality due to potentially difficult crossovers.

Whether you have floor-standing or monitor speakers, one or two subwoofers are a most (again, laws of physics).

My advice is to make up your mind about which of the two extremes you would like to be in, and work with the trade-offs involved. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by Musica Amantem; 02-12-2018 at 09:43 AM.