View Single Post
Old 02-18-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
So flattered that you guys remember me.

"He must be enjoying his system a lot!"

Yes I am!!!

I was on a quest for my own sonic nirvana (which I described as "deliciousness") and--much to my surprise--I found it, and in the most unexpected of combinations.

The core components of my current system are:

Digital source: McIntosh MDA1000 fed through a Sonos and MCD201
Analog: custom plinth Thorens TD125ii with SME 3009ii and Clearaudio Maestro (surprise)
Pre-amp: McIntosh C34V (surprise!)
Power-amp: McIntosh MC250 (surprise!)
Speakers: Tannoy Sandringhams

And, of course, my very own Delicious Decibels' The Delicious One. Which, alas, I am no longer producing because I am REALLY busy with other work. This is a key piece of equipment for me because, even with this very warm and forgiving setup, there are certain recordings that are too harsh or too thin-sounding for my taste (i.e. not delicious enough). In fact, I probably "blame" The Delicious One for ending my quest for sonic nirvana (a quest that was A LOT of fun.)

The suprise is that, after spending $$$$ on several modern, high-end, analog and pre/power-amps, I ended up with vintage stuff mixed with relatively modern equipment.

For example, the combination of a $$$$ MDA1000 with $ vintage McIntosh electronics is weird, but it works wonderfully for me.

I will admit that the Shindo Monbrison + Cortese were even better than this combination, but since I play my system several hours a day while I work, I did not want to worry about tubes. I will also concede that the MC501s would sound even better than the vintage MC250, but in my current setup I have limited rack space.

Like our friend Serge, when I am done with my current project I will probably come back and be more active on this forum.

In the meantime, I wish you all well and I hope that you are getting closer to your own sonic nirvana.

Alberto
Alberto!!! Good to hear from you and glad to hear everything is just the way you want it. If there is one thing I learned over the 30 years of being in this hobby, it is that it is not the price or the age or the latest brand of desire that ultimately makes me happy. It is the elusive "combination" of gear that creates synergy which speaks to our inner music lover deep inside and evokes an emotional response stronger than ever. It will be different for everyone of course.

I am currently circling back around to enjoying music after some years of not listening at all and I feel I am on the right path as my current system is starting to connect with that inner music lover and bringing me much listening joy. After owning many different speakers, the Harbeth 30.2 are really connecting with me and I am currently experimenting with a long term partner for them between all tubes and class A amplification.

Hope to see you around AA more often my friend.