View Single Post
Old 12-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david45 View Post
So I recently purchased a 6FLV amp and I am ready for some tube rolling fun!!

It came with a pair of Genalex KT-77 power tubes provided by Dennis as well as a Sovtek 5AR4 rectifier and 3 NOS driver tubes (Raytheon 6SL7GT, JAN RCA 6SL7GT AND RCA 5691 Red base).

So right off the bat I am ordering a pair of RCA 807 with tube adapers, 6P3S-E from Russia, Tungsol 6L6G (new), Genalex 6V6GT (new), TAD 6L6wgc-str (new), Sylvania 6L6 metal, 3 pairs of 6F6 metals (RCA, GE and Sylvania), Sylvania 6F6g grey plates, Sophia Electric blue glass 6SL7.

I am not too sure what to do when it comes to rectifiers, so I am ordering a new EH 5U4GB which Dennis sometimes ships amps with. What would you guys recommend as far as 5Y3 tubes and 5U4 both NOS or reissue are concerned? What have you experimented with? 5Y3GT?

Also 2 quick questions:

-can I use a 6SN7 as driver tube?
-274b with 807's or 5U4/5U4G?

Happy listening to everyone and Happy Holidays!!

David

That’s a pretty new Inspire Model. Not a lot of those around yet I think. Better send those last 2 to Dennis direct. Unless Straitwire could answer.

As to tubes to add to that lot, add a butt ugly 5U4 from Brent Jesse. For $20 an easy roll. Also get some Russian 6f6s. Also inexpensive. Last I was an Cary we rolled a bunch of 6v6 and 6f6 through an Inspire 6v6er. Similar to your 6FLV. Those Ruskies won the day (5U4) with some pretty stiff competition. Pope and Visseaux 6v6gt, rca 6v6 blackplates, others I cannot remember. Good fun was had. I ordered a 6v6er that day. Though I think Dennis might have combined the two into the 6FLV-V. I’m looking forward with much anticipation.

Have a good time rolling.