View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Jordan View Post
Pio-

Interesting post.
Shielding can act as an antenna and there are many powerful radio stations little more than a few hundred yards away from you, as the crow flies.

The ground wire on your original cables was attached to the shield and then grounded back at the preamp without direct attachment to the VPI's junction box.Did you ever have a problem with hum?

Aside from eliminating the radio interference, have the 75 ohm digital cables made a difference in the tonal quality of your system?
Yep - all the big stations are right across on the Empire State building, including the one I work for, and I have perfect line of sight from my place to the building.

The big sonic difference is clarity, but I think that's just the fact that the RFI is gone, so I was able to turn up the volume a bit more and spent about 3 hours listening last night.

One thing that is also gone is the "thunk" I would get when I would turn the motor off - now there is no thump or need for me to turn the volume down on the pre-amp when switching records out.