View Single Post
Old 01-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lost Bears View Post
I would not be fearful of buying used. Unless I know the person personalty I don't believe how new the tubes are. I just assume that the tubes need to be replaced and factor that in. I have never had a problem and have bought everything used. I usually check my dealer to see if he has what I am looking for. He may know of a used piece coming in.

In general I prefer used over demo for tube electronics. A dealer leaves demo pieces on all day so they are ready when a customer comes in. They usually have a lot more hours than a used piece.

The Aesthetix Calypso Signature is very good but it is not as good as the Ref 5se. I know someone who has had both. He sold the Aesthetix to buy the Ref 5se. He now has a Ref 6. One of the things I like about the Ref series pieces is they have tubes in the power supply. I think this makes a noticeable difference in the sound. But in the end it all depends on what sounds best to you in your systen.
I would agree with the power supply and ARC sound. I switched from a fantastic sounding Ref 5SE to the Ref 10 with the separate power supply and the difference is clearly there. It applies to preamps and amplifiers also. The really good sounding units have really well built and regulated power supplies.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.