View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 01:22 AM

Default New (to me) D'Agostinos in the house

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

After a not-too-long search I've now got a new (to me) D'Agostino Momentum S250 stereo amp and Momentum preamp in the house. A Momentum phono amp will be here soon.

There are thanks to go around and pictures to share and the AudioAficionado D'Agostino forum deserves its fair portion of the credit/blame/responsibility.

Besides, I promised Ivan I'd post something and it's good not to abuse the hospitality of ones host!

I'd seen the pictures and read the reviews with each introduction of Dan D'Agostino's new models, but it wasn't until very recently I'd actually had the chance to spend some quality time listening to his handiwork. Through the courtesy of the good folks at Definitive Audio in Seattle, and Ron Paternoster in particular I spent a some enjoyable hours in their reference room while comparing my (then) Chord DAVE/Blu MK II digital gear to their dCS Rossini 2.0 and Rossini + Clock combination. The rest of the system in Definitive's big room is impeccable -- Momentum M400s, Momentum preamp, Momentum phono all fronting Wilson Audio Alexx, cabled together with Transparent Opus.

I walked out of Definitive minus a deposit on a new DAC and Network Bridge (to be the subject of another post) and a keen appreciation bordering on outright lust for Dan's electronics.

Unfortunately, I can't just plank down the long green for a new suite of Momentum amplification. My conscience satisfied that I hadn't abused my brick and mortar friends by trying there and buying elsewhere since I had after all placed a big order with them for a digital front end, I set off searching for pre-owned or demo Momentums.

D'Agostino amplifiers are by no means thick on the ground, but with a bit of persistence and a bit of luck they can be found. I located a like-new S250 in the American southwest, and after everything checked out purchased it sight unseen. In a nice bit of serendipity, the owner gave me leads on at least two Momentum preamps currently for sale as dealer demos, and I soon had one of those on the way as well. The last piece of the puzzle came together a couple of weeks ago when I located a photo shoot/show special Momentum phono amplifier that was back at the D'Agostino facility being thoroughly checked out and could be had with a nice discount. It hasn't arrived yet -- and I've been *dying* here without DAC or phono amp for what seems like forever -- but it should be arriving next week.

So, pictures and listening impressions in the next post!

Steve Z

D’Agostino Momentum M400 amps, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono amp, Wilson Audio Alexx, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofer stacks.

Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Typhon. Shunyata Sigma NR & NR v2 cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Stillpoint Ultras, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots of music!

Last edited by zettelsm; 02-22-2019 at 12:37 AM.