View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Rebellious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwschwartz View Post
I have had an MS300 and now have 3 MS750's. I also have numerous other music server alternatives including SONOS, Apple, and Windows based systems. We can talk about the pros and cons of all of these systems but none are the "dream solution". We all have different expectations. I think the key to which is best is which do I use most. By far and away, I use the MS750 more than the others. The main one can see the others easily, the various network players can see it, digitizing the music is easy enough, backups are easy enough, and there seems to be plenty of room. 800 CD's take up less than half of the 750gb.
I would suggest having a spare hard drive with the operating system on it and a spare CDRW. There is no reason to expect that these shouldn't last another 5 years. By then there will be something else out there. Remember, 80% of what we will be using in 10 years isn't even invented yet.
I have found that it is easy to get caught up in the upgrade fever and lose track of what this is all about, listening to and enjoying the music. So rather than worry about what may happen if the MS750 dies, enjoy the music. I will bet it can either be fixed or a good solution can be found when the time comes. Thanks, Larry
Having Apple iTunes via Aiport Express & Apple TV, Sonos, and the McIntosh Music Server MS300/750.

I endorse your response that none of these are dream systems, and your wisdom of "80% of what we will be using in 10 years isn't even invented yet."

I had a spare HD for the MSXXX and never needed it. It's advantages are many, but it's biggest drawback is getting to playlists or artists quickly. Sonos and Apple Airplay based systems are leaders in this area. Still, It had great fidelity.

The king of all music servers for high resolution audio via server is still Meridian. The Focus and Swim features access your music or the Rhapsody music service like none other. Sadly, its price was my limiting factor and one can purchase several Sonos Connects/Play devices and a large RAID Storage system for whole house sound.

Last edited by o0OBillO0o; 03-27-2013 at 07:14 PM.