View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 AM

Default New Salon 2's not sounding right: Help!

(OK, moved this over from the Speakers at 30k thread. Below are my posts on the subject to date)

#1) So I did it. I took the big plunge and made a huge leap into the higher end, and a huge leap of faith. I got a used pair of Salon 2s for a great price. Powered by Sunfire 200wpc amp (doubles into 4 and 2 ohms, so power is there), Sunfire TGP5 Pre/Pro, Oppo BDP95 as source. Yes, my electronics are woefully underwhelming next to these, and need to be upgraded next.
So how are the Salon 2s? Well, I'm not sure. Incredible, outstanding top to bottom resolution, like hearing some music for the first time. Pristine highs. Very good imaging without even having played much with positioning. But...mids are a little thin, male voices thin, bass almost non-existent on some music, just OK on most. Not at all what I expected. Room is not huge at 15x22x7. Basement on slab. Speakers out 42" into room. Listening couch about 9-10 ft from speakers (13.5-14.5ft from front wall). Anybody have any idea where my mids and bass are hiding?

#2) I need to do something as my wife just told me she hates them, lol! I am limited in time, but I will try to play with placement. I cannot bring them out farther then the 42" they are at now, so maybe I will push them back and see if this changes things. Maybe a little front wall reinforcement will give me more mid/bass. I have limited funds right now, so I can make only one near term upgrade for around 3-4k (used price). What would you all recommend? Go with better amp first? Was thinking Mac 302 or 352 to get both more power and more warmth. I have more resolution than I need frankly, so happy to trade some off for warmer, more lush sound. I am coming off B&W N803 with JL F112 sub, and had auditioned various B&W 802Ds many times as i thought that would be my next speaker until I got this opportunity. I like the "BBC hump" in the B&Ws, and I also liked SF Elipsa sound. My favorite all time sound was Maggie 3.6 with $25k worth of ARC electronics, but maggies need to come out much farther into room than I can accomodate. I like a "they are in the room", very present forward sound with full mid/bass. Hope I can get the Salons to where I like them.

#3) Thanks again everyone for the replies. Here's where I am (some improvement but still problematic):

Checked polarity and all seems to be in order (at least the wires seem to be going to the right place). I was kind of hoping it would be this simple, but it is not.

I did two things that did seem to improve the bass output: moved them back to within a foot of the front wall, and, because the Sunfires all have this option, went from the current taps (tube like output) to the voltage taps (ss like output). Definitely got more bass, but still not close to energizing the room, and very recording dependent. The change from current to voltage did rob me of a lot of soundstage depth and some decay, but liveable.

As I played more music, one thing did become apparent, some (maybe most) well recorded Jazz CDs sound great, and the speakers finally sound like around 80-90% of what they should. Most older or average quality CD recordings sound bass-less and thin on voices and midrange, some more, some less. Example:

Wynton Marsalis: The Magic Hour - sounds absolutely superb. Diane Reeves voice is liquid beauty. What I expected from these speakers.

Fourplay: Between the Sheets - clearly was mixed with enhanced bass, and sounds excellent.

Yes: Yesstory - Not so good. Why is Chris Squires bass and Rick Wakeman's synth on Close to the Edge so weak (it should be deep and strong), and why is Jon Andersons voice recessed as if he's 10-20 ft behind the rest of the band?

David Sanborn: Close-Up - Some parts of the band sound very good, but Sanborn's sax sounds relatively thin and recessed (like Jon Andersons voice).

I will keep experimenting, but please tell me (all you current Salon 2 owners) that this is not a case where only good recordings will sound good on the Salon 2. They can't be this unforgiving. Do your average recordings sound good (especially re: voices, midbass and bass)?

Truly appreciate the help. This is a bit frustrating.

Last edited by jeffkrag; 02-23-2012 at 12:20 AM.