View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 09:31 PM

Hello All - if I told you that I've been reading this forum for 2 years and never posted, would you believe me? Well, it's true!

Anyway, I have a KT88 HO Inspire and LP2. The amp is the standard configuration with 6V6/6L6/6550, 6DJ8 and 5Y3/5U4g positions while the LP2 has dual 12AU7, 6CG7 and a 5Y3. I really enjoy this set up! Since owning this paid, I must confess I must have bought over $5,000 in tubes in the last 2 years to roll through them. It has proven an expensive habit/addiction, but this is was my first experience getting heavy into tube rolling.

There are a few posters here who's opinions I really agree on. It seems this amp just loves 6V6 tubes. I never got 6550/KT88 tubes to sounds great, at least to me, with this amp. I've run it with 3 pairs of speakers from 93-95dB including the Omega 3XRS, Omega Alnico Super XRS and Decware ERR all of which I own and know intimately.

My favorite tubes used are all NOS Visseaux 6V6 clear gloves, Mazda 6V6 GT, Belvu 6V6 GT with gold grids, and the Genalex Gold Lion KT66.

Regarding rectifiers, I have several GEC/Osram U52/5U4G that just never seemed to sound that special with this amp. Honestly, the best combo has been the 6V6 tubes above with the U50 rectifier. Please don't blow up my spot, but the U50 is a 5Y3 equivalent, as the U52 is the 5U4G equivalent, and it is just marvelous with classical and jazz. I have to say the Firebottle with the Omega Alnico towers is a great set up. Always have enough gain - never lacking for bass I feel 99% of the time, though I've considered adding an Omega sub into the mix. I've been listening to this amp/preamp nearly ever day for the past 2 years with these speakers and know it pretty well. In the input position, ince putting in a Telefunken E188CC, I've never wanted to take it out (though I've tried Amperex 6922 piched waist, Valvo CCA, etc). There is a really great synergy with the Omega speakers, that everyone here seems to agree on.

I've thought about upgrading the amp one day, but am not sure what the advantages are. I do not want to lsoe the ability to roll rectifiers - I still have alot of them and like to switch around when the mood strikes.

Lastly, in 2017 I moved from Washington DC to Charleston, SC so it seems I am really not that far from the Toy Factory. HAs an organized visit with other owners already been planned and taken place? Just some thoughts...