View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
I'm very familiar with metaphor 1s as well as the proper implementation of the R1, both physically and electrically. Subjective conclusions aside, the R1 is far from dynamically compressed.

To my ears the R1 suffers dynamically when crossed over too low, and even if it's not it needs a high order filter. Crossed over above 4kHz and 4th order L-R, it sounds nice enough, sure, but distortion is still much higher than the distortion from a diamond dome, even at 5 or 6kHz. Fwiw, I've measured both. I haven't measured the new D3 models but distortion from my D2's is astonishingly low above about 300Hz, and lowest in the 1-4kHz region, where it's well below 0.1% at around 90dB SPL.

What counts for 'dynamic' from a subjective standpoint is of course subjective, but I think it's the slight reticence in the presence region (1-3kHz) power response, synonymous with B&W, that creates an illusion of being less dynamic than some other speakers, although also subject to the listening environment of course.

Btw, I ended up using the RAAL ribbons instead of Raven's, and they're really quite something. Best ribbons I've heard by far.