View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:41 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
Having lived with the P350 for almost five years before switching to the Burmester 911 mk.3, the Burmester definitely has a level of refinement that the 350 does not have (though the 350 is still excellent in this regard) you really have to go to a pair of 911's to get more dynamic punch than a single 350.

For the money, and especially now what you can pick up a used 350 for, it really is tough to beat unless you have five figures to spend. And even then, the synergy of a P350 with an ACT 2, ART 3 or the GAT is amazing.

Perhaps the only achilles heel with the 350 is that for a SS amp it is very sensitive to loading: i.e. don't ever disconnect the speaker cables when the amp is on, or ever touch the speaker cables together (accidentally) even at low volume, or trouble could result. Mine was blown up this way once.

The 911 is a more robust amplifier in this regard. Dieter Burmester told me that the 911 is "virtually impossible to damage."
And don't do any of this until the amp is off for some time. Those big caps in the power supply are loaded for a while even after the amp is off.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer