View Single Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I also have and use a Signet TK9eA cartridge. Signet is no longer manufactured, but at the time (1980) the Signet TK9eA was the top of the line, completely hand built cartridge from parent company Audio-Technica. It is a wonderful sounding cartridge, as well, with a boron cantilever, and polished super eliptical diamond stylus. This cartridge has about 200 hours on it. My biggest concern with this cartridge is its age (29 years), and the possible condition of the cantilever suspension. I may be worrying over absolutely nothing because it tracks beautifully at 1.25 grams, and has a slightly better sound than the Shure V15VxMR, a bit more space around voices and instruments, and a wonderfully open top end. I am in the same boat with the Signet TK9eA as the Shure, no available stylus replacements. Needless to say, I exercise extreme care when handling both cartridges.

I found the link provided by turntable to the Agon forum post an interesting read. I tend to believe that cartridge headshells play a greater roll in the sound of a cartridge than is typically attributed to them. I found it intriguing that this individual went into that area, and had such experience with evaluating the same cartridge on many different headshells and arm combinations. It is clear he is commited to the experiments and resulting evaluations. His comments were enlightning.

I am still in the procrastinating mode. There are lots of things to think about, play with, and alternatives to try. Turntables, arms, and cartridges are such physical beasts, requiring lots of care and feeding. Fun stuff.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-10-2009 at 10:00 PM.