View Single Post
Old 12-05-2020, 03:03 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
Thanks Stephen....they do look great. I just ordered 2 Aperture II Panels from Ivan and will also include the GIK's as well when budget permits.
I have Stillpoints Aperture panels: 3 across the front wall, 1 at each first reflection point and 3 across the back wall. For several years I used 6 across the front wall but recently removed 3 because more energy in the room yields a sonic characteristic closer to what I hear from live acoustic music in a concert hall.

When I first started with Apertures in 2014 I had a few Real Traps devices including corner bass traps. Paul Wakeen (Stillpoints) brought over several Apertures to try. (Experimenting with them without permanent mounting is so easy.) His first suggestion was to remove all other acoustic panels and work solely with the Apertures to best understand what they do and how they interact with my room. That turned out to be an excellent idea. The Apertures are about half the size of the Real Traps but at least twice as effective.

The effect of a single Aperture is easy to hear. If you have one each at the first reflection points, when your budget allows I suggest trying just one in the center of your front wall or one behind each speaker before introducing other brands.

What I've learned is it is wise to go slow in adding acoustic treatments because it is so easy to over damp a room. Asking yourself what you want your system to sound like can help in assessing acoustic treatment.

Here is another thread that discusses placement options.

Last edited by tima; 12-05-2020 at 03:07 AM.