View Single Post
Old 04-11-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Paul - Let us know what you think. Have to admit some surprise on my part.
Last night I spent a great deal of time listening to vinyl. It was just shy of 3AM before I just couldn't keep my eyes open anymore. I was just so delighted in what I was hearing and didn't want it to end.

The first thing I noticed was this sucker was heavier than my VPI weight. Once in place and spinning records there was an immediate change in what I was used to hearing. There was more detail and separation when listening to recordings with multiple guitars and voices. There was more distance between them and better layering from front to back. Some of that smearing was now gone.

On wind instruments and drum cymbals the edginess was all but eliminated. Dynamics were also increased, not that they were louder but now tighter and focused with more punch.

I would have to guess that the LPI accomplishes this due to its weight and ability to absorb vibrations. It seems to keep the LP from vibrating and allowing the stylus to extract as much detail as it can from the grooves on the LP.

I have to say that the Stillpoints LPI is a winner and just made me enjoy listening to my vinyl collection even more if that was possible. The LPI is staying and my search for a record weight is over.

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.