View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrisik View Post
I will. I ordered one - in Jaguar Carnival Red . He's making them to order at this point. So, it will be a couple of weeks, at least, until shipping. There's nothing but skepticism all around. I'm getting doubts in the AR forum at ClassicSpeakersPages.net as well. My AR 2ax speakers are about 87db, though 8 ohms which helps. Even if there's not enough for higher volumes, if I can get sound that wows me at lower volumes, I will either go the way of finding or building 93db+ speakers or finding some Cary CAD508AE monoblocs for that single ended design of Dennis' with clearly enough power.

Fun exploration in any case!
As always, it depends on your room setup and listening habits. I found my lower power limit to be 25 Watts/ch into 93dB/Watt 8 ohm speakers, but then I like to listen quite loud and my room is not terribly small. Those 25 Watt tube amps sounded incredibly sweet, too.

I think classical music at anything beyond low levels probably won't work great with 87dB/Watt and 12 Watts -- but other music (with a greatly reduced crest factor, like most pop/rock) might be just fine at moderate levels or even a bit beyond. Anyways, that amp with single ended KT150 and a 6H30pi driver looks like fun! I love my gear stocked with KT120 and 6H30pi, and I bet the KT150 is indeed better.