View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacc7 View Post
I didn't really expect Dennis to want to do it but was hoping someone would talk about the complexity involved. So thank you!

The KT88 uses the 6bx7/6sn7/6sl7 so it sounds like it would need a new filament transformer. I assume that the filaments of both the input and output tubes are run off of a single tap on the power transformer. Would changing just the input tube mess up the heaters on the output tubes? I've asked a few local repair places but haven't heard back yet. Sounds like this may not really make much sense money-wise.
Well, it all depends on how it was wired. The only way it would work is to make sure the filament supplies for the drivers and outputs are completely separate, rather than connected as in many amps where all the tubes use the same filament voltage.

A rewire would be required, but that is pretty trivial. Then a new filament transformer or two would need to be installed, along with a switching set up. It could be done, but some of this also depends on how much room there is under the hood, and Dennis usually packs things in tight...