View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 11:29 PM

I have dug up a tall Sylvania JAN 6sl7gt with the getter flashing in the bottom. This along with the Sylvania 6sl7wgt are my favorite tubes to go with the 6ar6/807. I will try the JAN 6sl7 with the 7c5 tubes next week but I think it's going to be a winning combo as well. I am using a passive preamp so maybe the extra gain is an advantage in my system.

I would encourage you to not assume all 6sl7 tubes sound the same, not even the Sylvania ones! I had previously used a tall 7f7 which is equivalent to the tall, completely chromed Sylvania 6sl7. The 7f7 felt a little hard and ended up being fatiguing. That surprised me because the 7f7 seems to have the same round plate construction as the JAN 6sl7gt. Both the brown base 6sl7wgt and the tall JAN 6sl7gt are much smoother. I think the tall JAN 6sl7 edges out the other one in both bass and overall tonal rightness. I guess it could just be the difference between these two particular tubes. In any case, both of these are widely available for reasonable prices and are worth trying.