View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 12:20 PM

First, thanks to the admins for access, and thanks to this community for this epic thread! Haven't quite read the whole thing from beginning to end yet, but i've spent many hours coming from Google on various things.

Was lucky enough to snag one of the recent Inspire KT88 SEP amps off eBay and what an incredible upgrade. I had a Elekit 8200R before in my system. Speakers are Dali Evidence 470 (90dB), DAC is an Abbas Audio 4.1SE. Sources are FLAC through a Squeezebox, as well as IPTV, an Airport Express. All toslink into an auto-switcher feeding via coax to the Abbas.

Have been rolling tubes like a madman in this amp, but right now it has the stock Genalex KT88 tubes, and a great Raytheon VT-231 that i had in stock. Tried some GEC KT88 i had, but decided to wait until i've settled on everything else. Been experimenting some with the rectifier tube, and today i finally put in a CV378 i had and it made a big difference. Had tried a Philips GZ34, as well as some 5U4 types. But the CV378 absolutely smokes everything i've tried so far. Better definition in the bass, everything sound exquisitely balanced, i feel the limiting factor now are my Dalis.

Is there any risk to the 5V winding from running this tube? After 30 mins the power tranny is barely warm to the touch. Think i'm going to try some KT150 next but i also have some 5933W i'd like to try with an adapter. Edit: Duh, same heater draw as a 5U4G, 3 amps.

Also have some type 83 MV rectifiers on hand and have been in helpful contact with Mr. Had on fitting a switch on the HT center tap but as good as these CV378 are i have a hard time believing it can truly be bettered. Maybe when i've used out the two CV378 i have.

Last edited by Kris0603; 08-04-2021 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Answered my own question :)