View Single Post
Old 03-29-2019, 07:36 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by zettelsm View Post
I had wanted to go through the east coast nuke pipeline but didn’t have that choice — all of my A school classmates and I went to Vallejo and then to Idaho. We were the last class through Mare Island and then they shut it down.

A 356SC with sunroof! I’m envious. My ‘70 had the self-leveling hydro-pneumatic suspension, A/C and the gasoline-fired auxilary heater, which was pretty scary to light off but essential in the Idaho winters. 5-speed with the “Nurburgring” tranny. 1st gear was down and to the left, the H pattern was 2-3-4-5. I guess on the ‘Ring you never touched 1st again once you got off the starting grid.

Those were the days.

Steve Z
Indeed they were. IIRC, today, the only Nuc-school is in FL and only prototype is in ID. We used to put in an order at the Poquonock Giant Grinder Shop when on day- or swing-shift. For every 10 you got a free one. Always got the lobster grinder. The CE plant we certified on was much different compared to the GE & Westinghouse plants in NY & ID. Did spend 10wk at KAPL a few years later as part of the design crew for a new class of ships.

Kept the 356 until it dissolved (rust) while back in school. Not only was mine a sunroof, it was an electric sunroof, which was uber-rare. Got a good price due to the roof and other components. Shop that bought it moved the roof and chassis tags to a good body and I bought the '73 911 in Santa Monica. Clean, rust-free Targa with 21K on it. They were great cars. Put over 100K on each of them. As mentioned in another thread, don't we wish we had the foresight to have kept them? Did try out a 912 with the out-of-H 1st and that was the primary reason I did not purchase. Some folks complain about the next iteration 815 5-spd, but I only changed the syncro's in it once in 120Kmi and were fine when I sold.

Good luck finding your Cayenne. My friend traded in her 11yr-old Cayenne S (100K mi) on her new one and tells me she loves it even more than her old one, which was her "baby".
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag