View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 01:29 PM

When I was installing discos in the 70's and 80's we had two choices, mass was one and the other was a tuned suspension. Mass was the easiest, just fill a well constructed box with sand and a heavy steel top. But some times that didn't work. Especially when the DJ booth was on a suspended balcony or hung off a wall. Then the only choice was to tune the mounting platform and select a cartridge, tone arm combination that wasn't effected by the resonant frequency of the mounting. There were a few companies that made platforms for disco TT to sit on that you could tune by adjusting the feet. Some worked most didn't. There was one company that had three different platforms with different frequency tuning. They worked well but I don't know if they are in business any more. A nice heavy piece of steel with a choice of springs worked for me on a few occasions, when using QRK tables Why QRK, because the owners wanted instant acceleration and be able to slip Q, too. Sl 1200 were a great feedback solution TT but they couldn't come up or hold speed like a puck driven TT. And you needed the mass to reduce the TT table rumble. We used external pre-amps with 30 HZ filters to calm down down the QRK imperfections with Stanton cartridges.