View Single Post
Old 10-26-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
If you're presently running an HD650, I'd recommend the Schiit Valhalla 2 Output Transformer-less (OTL); it was specifically designed for the Senn HD600/650 series since there are so many of them in use. The Vali 2 would be another good choice.

The HD800 can be a challenge. It has a pretty unusual frequency response and it can be challenging to find an amp that works well with it. Lots of guys have come up with lots of mods for the HD800 to try to tame it's quirky behaviors. The best amp I've heard it with is the Sennheiser head amp but it's pretty pricey. Dan owns a pair of HD800s and uses the Sennheiser amp and loves them, which I fully understand, 'cause they sound great with that amp. My recommendation for a Schiit amp under $1K for the HD800s would be the Mjolnir 2, especially if you run the cans with a balanced cable.

The Cavalli Liquid Crimson and the Donald North Audio Stellaris may be good choices as well.

If you're going to go upmarket from HD650s, personally I'd consider other cans e.g. Audeze or Oppo or the Focal Elear.
I'm definitely adding a Valhalla 2 Triode OTL to my collection for my HD600. I've spent 6 years listening to the HD600 and back in the day as my ONLY system when the kids were really young and playing music in the house in the evenings was out of the question.

In all honesty, the HD600 driven by BROCKSIEPER EARMAX with Telefunken tubes are still the warmest memories from the 30 years of being involved in high end audio. Those late night listening sessions were just magic. Pure musical nirvana.

The HD600 are like an old friend to me, I could never part with them for that reason. They deserve a Triode OTL of their own.