View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Default PS Audio Dectet Review

I received a PS Audio Dectet Power Center. It is quite hefty in both weight and construction. In fact, it is so well built I believe I could stand on it without the Dectet suffering any damage whatsoever. The Dectet is solid and clearly built to last. It is made using a heavy gauge aluminum extruded case that encloses a circuit board filled with high quality parts that serve the design purposes of the Power Center. The five Hubbell hospital grade duplex receptacles are attached with screws to a steel plate that sits behind an additional heavy gauge steel trim plate that secures the three Iso-Zone's outlets to the extruded case. The 15 amp recessed male IEC cord connector is attached directly to the main circuit board and then screwed to one of the two polycarbonate end caps that close the ends of the Power Center. The main circuit board is populated with large open core coils that are wound with heavy gauge solid copper, relays, various other hard parts and one IC that controls the microprocessor based safety functions and the signaling functions of the lighted power button on the face. The three star-wired Iso-Zones are securely terminated to the receptacles and the wires are neatly routed and connected directly to the circuit board. The extruded aluminum case, receptacle sub-plate and the steel trim plate are all grounded forming a complete shield around the Dectet Power Center’s circuit board and outlets. This is an impressively built product inside and out.

So what does the Dectet Power Center have to offer besides the ten 120 volt AC outlets? It provides three independently filtered Iso-Zones. Filtration is handled through large core high permeability magnetic devices wound with solid heavy gauge oxygen free copper wire providing both common mode and differential mode filtering. This allows digital components, analog components and amplifiers to have independent isolated power. The Dectet Power Center also provides microprocessor controlled under-voltage and over-voltage protection with automatic reset once power returns to acceptable levels and remains stable. Should the power be interrupted due to under-voltage or over-voltage the power button flashes slowly to signal the condition. In addition, surge and spike protection are handled by on-board MOV’s. Should the MOV’s sacrifice completely while absorbing a surge the Dectet will shut down. This shut down can be overridden for temporary purposes but the Dectet will need the MOV’s to be replaced to restore full protection. Each PS Audio Dectet Power Center is hand built in Boulder, Colorado by skilled craftsmen. Their high quality work is clearly demonstrated in this well made product.

The Dectet comes packaged with a three foot, 15 amp power cord with a standard 15 amp IEC female connector. In the owner's manual PS Audio recommends using their own high-end shielded power cables with the Dectet, so view the provided 14/3 power cable as a complimentary starting point. I connected a two meter Wireworld Silver Electra power cable to the Dectet for my audition. I installed the Dectet Power Center in place of a Furman power box that I used to bring a 120 volt circuit from the PurePower 2000 to the back of my two channel rack. This powers my McIntosh C1000C/P preamplifier and MR88 tuner, Olive 04HD music server, Esoteric K-03 SACD/CD/DAC, Dynalab MD-205 Signal Sleuth, a Sonos Zone Player, and the Never Connected power supply for the Michell Gyro SE turntable. I was careful to plug the analog components into separate Iso-Zones, away from the digital components like the Dectet Owner’s Manual instructed. Once everything was plugged into the Dectet, I plugged the Wireworld Silver Electra power cable that feeds it into the PurePower 2000 and pressed the Dectet power button. The microprocessor verifies that the voltage is correct, then applies power to the ten outlets and lights the blue power button. That’s all there was to it.

Comparing the sound of my two channel system with the new PS Audio Dectet in place was easy. It only took a single SACD to discover a new silky smoothness to Claire Martin’s voice from her Too Darn Hot SACD that made me melt into the couch. The flowing nature of Claire’s voice was slightly improved as were the leading edge sounds of piano notes. The two channel system’s source components get power from the PurePower 2000, so the Furman power box, with its unshielded attached power cable, was the only fly in the ointment. The system was already sounding absolutely fabulous. It’s not like I have seriously contaminated power to my home. I typically have 1.7 to 2.1 percent total harmonic distortion on my incoming power as displayed on the living room system PS Audio Power Plant Premier’s. I am fortunate to have a dedicated utility transformer that only serves my home, so even straight from the wall my power is decent. None the less, I could tell from listening to Claire Martin’s voice and the piano that the Dectet Power Center improved the performance enough to be detectable at first listen. Even though the PurePower 2000 is delivering pure sine wave AC, having the Dectet delivering power the last eight feet to my two channel preamp and source components made an improvement that I like. The Dectet won't be returned to Ivan. Looks like it’s time to write another check because the Dectet Power Center is definitely a keeper.

Here are the photos of the inside the Dectet Power Center. It is very well made, uses high quality parts, and is rugged.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-26-2015 at 06:17 PM.