View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enatai252 View Post
The main difference when stepping up to R series is not the power....VXR is very similar in output to vX5. The mono amps do add another 50% but in real terms that is only about 1.5db. The R series shine in the resolution, air and soundstage they present. I could live with the vx5 and do in two different systems....but the MXRs with the Alexia's present a large soundstage with the detail and resolution to identify the individual performers. While I have to work harder to see the performers with the vx5. All of the amps offer a natural and non-fatiguing presentation with an organic quality that I find to sound very close to live music. On some music I prefer the vx5 original over the twenty version but on 85% I would go with the twenty....the twenty version also runs about 40% cooler. I have used a ref40 and ref5se with the MXRs and they pair well together. I do not have a kx5 but do have the KXR twenty....great preamp and prefer it with the MXR twenty. The Ref 40 is now used with a ref150 amp Don't think you will go wrong with any of the options you mention
Also as far as playing loud....I believe all of the Ayre amps will go right up to their limits without getting compressed or constrained. I think your. Speakers are 91db which means you should get to 113-114db with 200watts of power. With really good equipment and lack off distortion theses levels sometimes sound lower than other equipment that has higher noise levels...anyway while that may not satisfy full concert levels or full scale orchestra....to get that you will need different speakers not amps