View Single Post
Old 01-08-2016, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essjay View Post
Can those of you have been lucky enough to hear these amps from Ayre, let me know your thoughts on the differences? I have the VX5 at the moment and am considering either a twenty upgrade to the VX5 or an upgrade to the VXR or maybe even MXR's if I can find a reasonable deal on a pair. All feedback welcome. Room is treated and 5.5x4m and speakers are PMC MB2's which are pretty easy to drive at 91db. I have googled but have not found much on the topic. thanks in advance.
What is your source and preamp. The VX5 is very good. I have one as well along with a VX5 twenty, a VXR twenty and three MXR twenties( upgraded from MXR). I am quite happy with the base VX5 used with a classe CP800 and naim streamer in a bedroom system with Thiel speakers The VX5 twenty is used in the study with Wilson Surround 2s on the wall and a ARC ref DAC as source and preamp. The MXR and VXR are used in theater with Wilson Alexia's, Mezo and Alidas With KXR twenty and Datasat R20 as preamp processor and Vivaldi as main source. I think it all depends on the total system as to whether an upgrade makes sense. The twenty definitely improves the bottom end and improves on an already very rich and natural sounding presentation. The VXR/MXR are step function improvements but require high quality source components to maximize value