Thread: My Last Hurrah
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 10:59 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
Strictly personal, good question!
Interesting idea Ivan, even though you mentioned it's personal and not dealer/selling related, I know you're probably thinking new, but I think this would be a lot of fun not to mention a little bit educational. I think it would be incredibly interesting to put together a state of the art system circa a certain time....not vintage but maybe something from the early 90's when the high end really started taking off with Mark Levinson, Krell, B&W etc. You've already heard and owned state of the art so unless you went ape$%^& and did some insane $2,000,000 system, would you really gain and or learn anything about what you're putting together other than it sounds good and costs a lot?

If I were in your position, I would LOVE to put together a state of the art system, say, from 1990. I would wait until you see some pristine offerings on the used/dealer mkt. and let's say off the top of my head.....

Amplification: a pair of Krell FPB 350 monoblocks, Krell Audio Standards (that would be my choice), Mark Levinson No. 33 monos , or Classe Omegas paired with the appropriate preamps

Speakers: Here's where it would be fun, lots on interesting designs to choose from but my short list would be Sonus Faber Extremas (originals), original B&W Nautilus (the snails), or original Focal JM labs Utopias

source: I'd keep the source somewhat current, you wouldn't want to listen to an old California Audio Labs CD player but maybe pick up an analog front end that would interest you

I know it's probably not what you're thinking but it would be a hell of a lot of fun to compare and contrast state of the art then vs. state of the art now and compare notes. Most of us definitely don't have the space even if we did have the funds! Be kind of a fun diversion unless it sounded like crap!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3

Last edited by audioguy3107; 06-30-2019 at 11:01 PM.