View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 12:54 AM

I wasn't trying to make a statement or claim by asking a rhetorical question. I really wanted to know.

In a Mc room, it was night/day difference. Digital sounded horrid by comparison.

I went to a different dealer and heard a boulder system, with an air force (3?) turntable and used a chord hugo dac (not sure which version). It's no longer night/day in this system comparison, and I'm learning more about the flavor.
In this room, digital was a tad more dynamic, and vinyl sounded a tad more realistic and more relaxing/natural, but it wasn't extreme. I could probably be A/B tested if the preamp was going back and forth between both formats on the same song enough, but I wouldn't be as confident on this system.

After a while of listening, my friendly sales guy told me not to pay attention to how it sounds, but pay attention to how I feel when I'm listening. Oddly my ears don't like digital as much. Despite the song sounding so close in my brain, my outer ear felt tense in a flinched like state on the digital. My outer ears relaxed on vinyl back into its natural state. I was explained that an analog sound wave is smooth, where a digital sound wave has a jagged curve. Maybe an even better DAC and the phenomena will go away. I'm mostly here to learn.