View Single Post
Old 10-02-2010, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC45 View Post
Simply put, most listeners preferred loudspeakers that had the smoothest, flatest, and most extended frequency responses maintained uniformly off axis.
thanks for posting this, which was going to be my response to cmalak and vesuvius. It's real published research, double blind tests, with trained and untrained subjects---better speakers are those that measure better.

you have to take the room out of the equation---no one can account for that apart from custom builds, to answer phc1. This really is a red herring. And while wilson may have three (!) rooms, harman has an entire testing facility. With a speaker placement robot for whatever that's worth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC45 View Post
As to Revel, the biggest complaint i've heard about the speaker is people think it looks cheap in comparison to others in that price group. That's a huge factor to overcome when playing in that arena. Looking cheap is a subjective appraisal, but I really think it keeps more people from owning the speaker.
and there lies the rub. I despise the salon2 look. I love the sasha design (I'm a modernist, it'll match my furniture (no, really)). Careful a/b tests will determine if the loss in fidelity is worth the aesthetic. I wish my visual preferences weren't so important. Alas.

Last edited by the deep; 10-02-2010 at 01:06 AM.