View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
What else do you like about the sound?
It seems like a really interesting disc spinner/dac.
I am not good as a reviewer. Sorry. I find the Marantz SA-10 really moved my system up a notch. I got it after I moved from Magnepan 3.6 to 20.7s. and it was a hint that I could go a lot further. I also got the latest powercords of my favorite brand. And then decided to try some fancy duplex outlets.
So now, the realism is far better.
It is really only in the details.. HF sound, better clarity, more "THERE" than before.
And CDs clearly now have different mastering quality. Where before they all pretty much seemed the same. Now I can notice 'superdiscs, just like some LPs are way better. So are some CDs.
ADDED: I should mention I own very few SACD, but own lots of CDs. I enjoy using various five disc changers. I was able to audition the Marantz SA-10 at home, and got to hear it with my changers connected via Toslink. I bought it based entirely on how it sounded playing CDs as a DAC, via Toslink from a CD changer.
So as a SACD player, for people who own a lot of SACDs.. I cannot say much. But for a player which raises CD playback to an entirely new level, yes.
The Marantz's own spinner, compared to my others, is better playing CDs. But so little it does not matter to me vs the convenience of the five disc changers. So I am 'saving' the SA-10 transport for critical moments.. and day to day (I listen to music about 10 hours a day) listening with the changers to the Marantz used as a DAC. (the Marantz is also nice as if the Toslink or SPDIF has a data lock, the Marantz lighting will stay off all the time. So I can leave it on 24/7 and it never has a display showing. Only a very tiny single red dot.)

Last edited by Beet Farmer; 10-22-2018 at 11:12 PM.