View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 PM

I didn't see this forum until today. I'm an Ayre guy so that's why I'm over here. I got to hear these a week and a half ago I believe it was. I think The Audio Store in Newington, CT were the first to get these for audition. They only had about 30 hours on them as they were the first ones shipped to the US. I'm a Vandersteen guy, but have a small pair of Paradigm as does my brother and former brother in law. I like them for their price, but I chose the Treo's over them over the Signature 8's.

I am very familiar with most of the speakers out there except for a few of the esoteric ones. The speakers really need a lot of break in as does anything with the new capacitors that are out there. The sound had a bit of a bass problem on one of the Dire Straits songs, but I think it was the room's 50 Hz problem that so many rooms have. I spoke with the Paradigm rep about this and he agreed. I think he was shocked I noticed this. We recreated the problem on another song. Overall, even without break in, this speaker is special. It's coherent. That's a big thing for me as most speakers at any price just aren't. They are highly musical. The BE drivers are very very impressive. Best BE drivers I've ever heard from anyone. They are much more pistonic than the other drivers I've heard of the same material and that's the reason they are so clean. They just aren't breaking up like to many other's huge expensive speakers do (you fill in the names). They are much more natural and smoother than any diamond tweeter I've heard too. The only driver material I've liked better is carbon fiber and a black ceramic that a German speaker used and I happen to really like a lot. It's all very personal and I get that. There is a veil in the sound, but that's going to go away as they open up. The sound was solidly within the speaker cabinets boundaries, but again, they are bound to open up and release around the 150hour mark I'm sure. Even at the end of the evening, the sound was opening up a bit. The highs were natural and extended, but not etched at all. I'm expecting them to be a highly extended speaker that isn't distorted, so it won't be a fatiguing speaker like most at this range. (to me). The bass was very solid and tuneful all the way down into the 20's. I don't remember the names of the songs he was auditioning, but you all will hear all of it when they come to your town.

They are physically beautiful to say the least. The paint job is first rate. No orange peel anywhere. The are large, but not overpowering for a decent size room that they'll be in. I love the bass in these as they are integrated nicely and will only get better. Again, I think the problem is in the room and the rep said that he can tune that out. It doesn't have the eq of a Vandersteen, but with proper set up, it will be awesome.

I gave it a shot, but will stick with Vandersteens, however this speaker will be a huge hit and is on my favorites list just behind the Vandersteen Quatro (to me the Quatro is a better speaker overall and half the cost), but I do put it ahead of any of the B&W D3's (yes, I've heard them a few times), any Wilson, Magico or Focal (all way too bright for me as they tip the high end a few DB's depending on the speaker and even other speaker manufacturers will tell you this. There are a few speakers from the 35k these are at on up that I like better, but overall these ref speakers give you a lot for your money.

Again, you will all love them I'm sure. They have done a great job and I hope it trickles down in their line, but the thing that stands out are the active built in subs.