View Single Post
Old 03-28-2016, 05:35 PM

Default Giya G2 wounded - doctor needed!

Greetings to all Vivid Audio owners and all audio enthusiasts!

After a longer time I’m posting again. Not that I would not like to write report about how satisfied I am with the speakers, but haven’t had the time. But today I am forced to do so. One of my Giyas has today got wounded.
We had a really cool Eastern day with my family, and my 5 years old son was showing some really cool grooves to the legendary “Johnny B Goode”. Unfortunately he lost balance and pushed one of my speakers so that the grilles dropped off. Of course not without damage:

As you can see there are some serious scratches on the lacquer. Moreover, I have noticed some weird scratch on the mid-driver. I have not noticed that one before, so I suppose is also due to this small accident.
I am unhappy, but not destroyed. I have been counting with this, since I bought the speakers. Nevertheless I would like to do 2 things, naturally:

1. Try to repaire damages
a. Try to repair the lacquer. Does anyone have suggestions? My brother told me to use a “magic foam hub” – a slightly abrasive hub.
b. Maybe try to order a mid-driver from Vivid Audio – does anyone has any experience with this? Maybe I should order one spare of each of the drivers

2. Improve the adhesion of the grilles
a. Try the Lee3 method – attach a strong magnet to the grille. Something like this:
unimagnet.cz/653-PM-16-magneticky-uchyt.html
b. Or glue some Velcro fasteners to the speaker and the grilles as well

Anyway, I would appreciate any help and opinion on this topic.
Good night .
Vico

Last edited by jdandy; 03-28-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: active link to non-sponsor seller against forum rules. Do not post photos with embedded links.