View Single Post
Old 06-21-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewL View Post
Thanks Charles. That’s pretty strong on the satisfaction meter!
LewL, let's do a comparision of the gear available at any price on the market.

First let me say that the 901, if you desire to bi-amp, is the the amp on the market to use. It is incredibly powerful at 1,200 w/ch minimum and will probably do significantly more. Pick out a SF Aida (135K), pair it with a pair of 901's, a C12000/MCD12000 combo and you have a system for the ages. And you don't need four or six amps.

Also if I had the money and space, I would look at a Magico M9 (750K), which requires four channels and would be ideal for a 901. Also many lesser speakers that are built for bi-amping, not as an after thought, will blossom with a 901. As I have pointed out although you may consider it expensive, in absolute terms it most certainly is not.

At 36K it is less expensive than the new CJ ART108M which is rated at 160 w/ch and lists for 48K, a total minimalist design, no protection circuits, no meters to monitor maximum watts, and takes 15 minutes to stabilize.

The ARC160M is 35K and rated at 140 w/ch with no protection circuits and meters that I would not rely on, do not have a peak hold feature, and hard to see from a distance. It also requires a noisy fan which I find incredible this day and time.

Less powerful amps require protection circuits more than more powerful amps. The days of minimalism are over, according to RH, editor of TAS. The great thing about tube watts is that, unlike SS watts, they sound great until clipping occurs but you never want any amp to clip, tube or SS. Mac is the only manufacturer that provides true protection from clipping, both tube and SS.

There is no substitute for power unless you have speakers > 94dB sensitivity. Mac makes some of the most powerful tube amps on the market, period, irrespective of price. The Siegfried is rated at 650 watts/ch but idles at 600 watts and is 75K/pr. Has more tubes than I can count. No protection circuits or meters. Ditto for the ARC750 which idles at an incredible 800 watts. Totally impractical. Wouldn't consider either of them if you gave them to me.

The VAC Statement is 450 w/ch 120-150K/pr. No protection circuits or meters. Now these Statement amps are I am sure wonderful sonically, but I would rather have the 3500.

These are the only three tube amps I know of with the Siegfried and ARC being marginally more powerful but would heat my house in the winter. Totally impractical in terms of weight and heat and cost.

Now you can say what you want, but I believe that sonically based on my experience with my XVX, the 3500 will easily match them.

I think some ultra expensive SS amps like the Relentless will compete with a 3500 sonically but again far too large, heavy, and expensive for me. Given the choice no question it would be my 3500, which again based on personal experience with my XVX, I believe will match it sonically. With an XVX the 3500 must be heard to be believed. It's that good.

I apologize for the overly long post.

Best

Charles

p.s. the 3500 runs cool, even at live performance levels I can firmly place my hand on the cage without discomfort. At idle it is slightly warm. It is not "house heater". I do not notice the AC running more. It takes less than 30 seconds to stabilize and ready for music. It's meter tells you when it's ready.

Last edited by Charles; 06-21-2022 at 11:40 AM.