View Single Post
Old 02-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I’m a complete video neophyte, could you explain how one goes about obtaining movies in this format and how you play/display these files.

Also glad to hear you feel the ACS does an excellent job of ripping CDs. I have often wondered if I could hear any difference between a ACS10 ripped cd and same cd ripped by my iMac w/ external SuperDrive (XLD ripping app).
DVDs and Blu-ray discs can be transferred to a hard drive with a variety of available programs - similar to transferring music from a CD. The quality is superior to streaming video methods as the bitrate of, for example, blurays are 30-40 mbps compared to just 4-5 for HD streaming such as itunes or netflix. Even 4k over netflix maxes at something like 15mbps versus 50-60 from an actual 4k disc. Once the files, in a format such as mkv, are on a server such as the ACS, then a program like plex or infuse can be used to play them on an apple tv. These programs on the apple tv pretty much look like a personalized netflix, more or less, with cover art and metadata displayed.

I couldn't believe how much better rips sound through the ACS - much better than a purpose built computer I designed and built just for ripping CDs.

Last edited by DMelby; 02-14-2019 at 05:44 PM.