View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 03:12 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtranr View Post
While awaiting likely-next-month delivery of a Venom 10NR power cord to replace the Sidewinder supplied with the original Hydra 19 years ago, I've moved the Hydra from the home office to the bedroom system to get a playback-seasoned point of reference on what the Venom will bring to the listening table.

The Hydra replaces a Blue Circle outlets-siliconed-onto-PVC Thingee power distributor. Because the Hydra won't fit into my current fixed-shelf audio rack (I'll build a Salamander-like replacement with threaded rods that aren't oily), it's temporarily parked atop four Stillpoints Ultra-Mini footers mounted on floor-sitting 2"-thick maple butcher blocks.

Right out of the gate, without any Sidewinder settling time, the Hydra said "screw my age" and blew the walls wide open with a much more detailed and spacious presentation, gut-belting dynamic punch, and transient quickness, enhancing the 'being there" sense of recordings mixed to achieve that illusion.

So why in heck did I wait so long to make the move? And how much further will I be sucked into the soundstage once the Venom gets here?
Jim,
Based on a conversation with Caelin on another forum, I may be ordering a new Venom NR-V10 here, pretty soon as well.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.