View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 07:30 PM

Thanks! I'm using small sections of double sided tape and felt cloth cut to roughly 1/8th trim of the edges. The ply is indeed two sheets glued to together. I didn't feel comfortable with using wood screws to hold nearly 100lbs per speaker, so I doubled up the 3/4 ply, increased the tops ply's hole diameter, and used brass bolts/washers with locknuts to keep everything tight and stable.

I set the 846As on the bench to A/B test them against DeVore O/93s, which I've since sold. It was no contest. The horns demolished the Ape's tweeter. That bench height put the horns just above my ears, and about 1-2 inches higher than the the tweeter on the O/93., and the way sound fills the room at the placement is pretty mind-blowing. I also doubled up the 3/4 ply to approximate the solidity of the walnut bench. The Altecs sounded so good on the bench, I wanted to match that with the stands as much as possible.

I'll get the speakers up on the stands this weekend, and after that, move on to figuring out what 2A3 or 300B Bottleneck kit to build so I can get over the chasm of building electronics and translating schematics to working components

Last edited by grantray; 05-12-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: broken flickr links