View Single Post
Old 06-30-2018, 03:36 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
As Charles Hansen had warned, there appears to be a problem with inserting the 10B (or probably anything) between the Ayre KX-5 Twenty preamp and VX-5 Twenty amp. That sense of music just flowing that Ayre is known for seems to have been diminished, replaced by a more HiFi sound. So I plan to try a different approach: Driving the 10B from the single-ended outputs that now drive a Velodyne SMS-1 bass manager, and using the 10B to low-pass to a pair of HGS-10 subs, perhaps through the SMS-1 for acoustic room correction. I'll try a 70 Hz crossover with a 12 dB slope. The KEF LS50s seems to begin a mild rolloff around 70 Hz, so the fit might be good. (70 Hz is the lowest crossover my 10B offers.)

db
I discovered the magic elixir, and it was in my rack all the time: I removed the 10B from the setup and use the SMS-1 to low-pass to the KEF LS50s at 50 Hz with a 24 dB/octave slope. That did require a video monitor for setup, but it restored the Ayre sense of music flow and the low-end now sounds very like fine full-range speakers. There is no longer an observable overlap of LS50s and subs.

db